Monday, August 3, 2009

Chops in the Fridge

Well, I had a couple of pork chops I had defrosted a couple days ago in my freezer and was trying to figure out what to do with them. I am in the process of moving, so right now I wanted something extremely easy and fast, and wanted to clear out my cabinet while I was at it. What I decided on was using the garlic I had left and about half a stick of butter to make a sauce for the chops.

I very simply melted the butter at first, and chopped my garlic. However, DO NOT put the garlic in right away, in fact, forget about it for a while....if you put it in at the beginning it will burn to a crisp right away.

While I had the butter melting, I put on a pot of water to bring to a boil that I was going to use to make some pasta to go with the chops and the sauce I was making.

Now, as for the pork chops I went with a recipe I had used for chicken before. I made a breading based on bread crumbs since that works better for pan frying in my opinion than flour. What is important is to season that breading. You can do basically whatever you want. However, what I did was throw in a bunch of garlic powder and used some italian seasoning...each very cheap to get at any store including a dollar store. I took an egg and beat it, then coated the pork in the egg then rolled the chops I was making in the bread crumb mixture. Now, when you put the meat into the pan with the melted butter, make sure the heat is set to medium low...if it is to high at first, you will end up with a very burnt crust and an explosion of grease.

By this point, your water should be to a boil. Throw in the pasta (just about any type works), and after the chops are golden brown on one side, flip them over and do the same to the other. After that side is brown, then you can start gradually increasing the heat....I also suggest to flip rather constantly to make sure that one side doesn't burn. Also, at this point throw in the garlic...trying to keep it around the edge of the pans away from the more direct heat so it slowly cooks and simmers. If you want to add more butter at this point you can as well.

When the pasta is done, drain it, and put it back in the saucepan you cooked it in. The best way, since I have no clue how a real chef does it, to check if your meat is done is to cut into it. If you see any pink, let it pan fry for a little longer....if it passes the done test, take the pan and dump everything together into the saucepan and mix it together so the garlic butter sauce coats everything. Serve in a bowl and top it with parmesan cheese and you got yourself a cheap, easy dinner that takes about 20 minutes to prepare.

Also, realize that this recipee is great with not only pork, but chicken as well. I have also done it with sea scallops that were on sale at the store (without the breading) and that worked out great as well. As I will always say, feel free to add different spices ( you will learn just how important I think spices are!!) if you feel the sauce is too bland and make it your own dish. If you do make variations, make sure to post it in our forum section as I would love to try it out. Also post any other comments there that you like or disliked about the recipe.

Well, there it is, my first blog post. Hopefully it was a helpful idea, and I will continue to post my cooking recipes and tips as I ad more posts! Thanks for reading.



-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment